This eastern- most Hungarian inhabited small region of the Carpathian pool is sometimes mentioned as the Sacred land of Haromszek. This is where we can find Kezdialmas, the old name of which is Baksafalva. This settlement is one of the youngest villages of the country, as it became administratively independent only in 2004, because from 1968 until 2004 it formed a village together with Also Lemheny and Felso Lemheny. There are two more small settlements which belong to Almas: Csomortan and Almasret.
The number of inhabitants is over 1500, more than 90 percent of which is of Hungarian nationality and of Roman Catholic religion. Kezdialmas is in the north eastern corner of Kovaszna county, 17 km far from Kezdivasarhely and 55 km far from the center of the county, Sepsiszentgyorgy. The settlement is on the side of the Avas mountain, under the Szent Mihaly mountain.
Mild hillsides give home to the villagers, at 607 m average height above sea level.
On the north it is bordered by the Kovesel peak, under the settlement there is the Fenyoponk, on the north east there are Almasret and Kutfej, and on the east we can see the Szent Mihaly mountain.The name of Kezdialmas was first mentioned in written documents in 1567 in a papal property note. According to the famous Renaissance man of Transylvania, Orban Balazs, the name originates from the bordering fortress called Almas fortress.
Csomortan is a settlement which belongs to Kezdialmas. This village is at the western foot of the Szent Mihaly mountain, it is the last village of the Holy land of Haromszek. Csomortan is a small village of 500 people of Hungarian- Sekler nationality. According to the tradition its name comes from the Csomortanyi family. The settlements age is relatively young, it was first mentioned in written documents in 1506. According to Orban Balazs in the past there used to be a fortress here, the fortress of Csomortan and the personnel and the soldiers formed the village later on. The oval shaped fortress is one of the characteristic stone based fortified settlements from the Bronze Age of the county, the building of which happened supposedly in the late Bronze Age.
There was no school in the village until 1840. Those who wanted to learn had to go to Esztelnek. In 1872 the Roman Catholic school was transformed into village school and they built a new building too. Nowadays there is an elementary school in the village, where two local teachers teach the children. In the same building there is a kindergarten too. Next to the main road there is a monument in the memory of the victims of the two world wars, it was made by Laub Ede from Kezdiszentkereszt.
The village did not have a church in the middle ages. Its Roman catholic church was built in 1982 in respect to Saint Erzsebet of Arpadhaz. The mille centenary memorial board was placed on the wall of the church, in the graveyard there are 11 red pines planted. Important folk tradition monuments are the hand painted chests and other pieces of furniture.
Between Almas and Csomortan, on a northern hill we can see the Kakasko, from which there is a great view available. Opposite the hill there is a deep ditch- like valley, the Pit of the Beautiful Women . The saddle shaped land between Kakasko and the Pit of the beautiful Women is thought to have been a temple in old pagan times. This also proves that the two settlements have been long connected even by these old rituals and traditions. It does not matter in which direction we continue our journey from Kakasko, either we go north, or we go east we get to the third village of Kezdialmas. The narrow valley of the Ret is called Almasret. It takes an hour from Kezdialmas to get here, there are three possible ways to reach it. The most important of them is the Malom street (Mill), which reminds us of the late watermills of this region. This almost uninhabited small village belongs administratively and religiously to Kezdialmas.
This area is often crossed by fast watered streams and a few decades ago there used to be many watermills functioning here. In the beginning of the 20th century the Almas women brought brought their hemp and flax sheaves for steeping, so that they could weave thread from them with long and tiring work. There was a sawmill too by the water of Ret, but nowadays only weekend houses can be found here. Here we can still see the old thatch roofed village houses. In the Farkas stream there was a stinky bath in old times. The similar kind of sweet sulphurous smell characterizes the water of the Logoreny stream, of Kisagtove and of Sarfalva. From Almas we can follow the marked tourist path towards the beautiful and mysterious surroundings of the Nemere and the Kaszon mountains. There are special stones and rocks on the sides of both the small and the big Nemere mountain, the whole area is now geological reservation. On clear weathered days we can get a stunning view of the Carpathians and the upper part of the Haromszek pool from the peaks of the two Nemeres and also from the top of the Nagy Sandor mountain.
The locals are proud of the past and the traditions of this village, no wonder. They are proud to show it to the visitors too. Kezdialmas always welcomes its guests.